JPMA and the New York State Office of Attorney General join efforts on infant bedding safety MattressReviews.co
JPMA and the New York State Office of Attorney General join efforts on infant bedding safety
The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and the New York State Office of Attorney General are pleased to announce a joint effort campaign on infant bedding safety.
JPMA and the New York State Office of Attorney General encourage parents and caregivers to stop before placing baby to sleep and be sure their crib is as safe as possible. Especially important is the proper use of fitted sheets that fit securely around the crib mattress. It’s important to take the necessary precautions to avoid unknowingly placing baby at risk.
Every year, an alarming number of children die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Studies have shown by taking simple safety measures, parents and caregivers may significantly decrease their child’s chances of SIDS. “There are a variety of infant bedding safety factors to consider when placing baby to sleep, says Jennifer Szwalek, JPMA vice president of communications. The following guidelines are encouraged when using infant bedding:
- Normal, healthy infants should ALWAYS sleep on their backs unless otherwise advised by a pediatrician.
- The crib mattress should fit snugly with no more than two fingers width between the edges of the mattress and the crib side.
- Only a fitted sheet, mattress pad, and/or waterproof pad should be used under a baby that is under 12 months.
- Remove pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, pillow-like stuffed toys, and other pillow-like products from the crib of an under 12 month-old baby.
- NEVER place infants to sleep on pillows, sofa cushions, adult beds, waterbeds, beanbags, or any other surface not specifically designed for infant sleep.
- Cover baby under 12 months with a thin covering, such as a crib blanket, receiving blanket or other blankets specifically designed for infants, only reaching as far as baby’s chest, and tuck the covering around the crib mattress.
- Do not overdress your baby. Consider using a sleeper or other sleep clothing as an alternative to any covering for baby under 12 months.
The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, Inc. is a national trade organization of more than 400 companies in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. These companies manufacture and/or import infant products such as cribs, car seats, strollers, bedding, and a wide range of accessories and decorative items.
Nathan Montery is a successful author and regular contributor to http://mattressreviews.co. Choose from a large variety of mattress types and get a good night’s sleep!